The Fedora Project proudly announced a few minutes ago (May 24th) the immediate availability for download of the final and stable version of the highly anticipated Fedora 15 operating system.
Fedora 15 is dubbed Lovelock and includes the new GNOME 3 desktop environment with the GNOME Shell user interface.
Fedora 15 is powered by Linux kernel 2.6.38 and features a dynamic firewall, Mozilla Firefox 4, LibreOffice 3, a new full-text search tool, and a new double-entry accounting system.
"We bring to you the latest and greatest release of Fedora ever, Fedora 15! Join us and share the joy of Free software and the community with friends and family."
"We have several major new features with special focus on desktops, developers, virtualization, security and system administration." - was stated in the official announcement.
Highlights of Fedora 15:
· Linux kernel 18.104.22.168;
· Btrfs filesystem;
· GNOME 3 desktop environment;
· Indic typing booster;
· Better crash reporting;
· Redesigned SELinux troubleshooter;
· Gnome Shell user interface;
· GTK+ 3.0;
· Xorg Server 1.10;
· Deja Dup backup software;
· LibreOffice 3.3 open source office suite;
· Mozilla Firefox 4.0 web browser;
· BoxGrinder appliance (virtual machines) builder;
· Ledger, double-entry accounting system;
· Higher compression in live images;
· recoll, full-text search tool;
· Dynamic firewall;
· IcedTea Java plugin;
· RPM 4.9;
· Python 3.2;
· Rails 3.0.3;
· OCaml 3.12;
· FreeIPA 2.0;
· Maven 3;
· GNU Debugger (GDB) 7.3;
· GCC 4.6;
· Sugar .92 environment;
· eCryptfs support in authconfig;
· LZMA comperssion for Live images;
· Power Management improvements;
· Retrace server;
· Robotics suite.
The Fedora Project is committed to providing a free and open source software experience to users of all types. Over the past few releases of Fedora, an incredible amount of work has gone into building a free desktop usable by anyone."
"These features have provided improvements in networking, software management, hardware support, and other functionality. Over the past cycle, work on these features has mostly been to provide bug fixes and additional stability." - was stated in the release notes.
Download the new Fedora 15 operating system right now from Softpedia.